Wednesday, September 3, 2014

A brief interlude

Behind me there is a beautiful vista of green mountains dotted with buildings descending down to an orchard of (coconut, probably) palm trees that can be seen from a penthouse balcony. In front of me there are hung photos of the Himalayas, capped in snow. To my left there is the seat in the shape of a camel. To my right, a dining table. I am sitting on a turquoise-embroidered couch that has a twin and matches the chairs at the table. Above my head there is a rooftop terrace I hear has an incredible view. Around me is a 1000+ square foot apartment furnished shiny and green and with an extra room that's likely to become a child's room in a couple of years.
A view of green hills

Matching couches

Pictures of snowy mountains

Matching upholstered chairs

This is the home of my host family's oldest daughter and her husband, who I am staying with for one night as my host parents take their oldest son to the Mumbai airport, where he will be flying to France for his MBA.

It is beautiful, pristine, and elegant, so unlike the streets below or anywhere else I've been in India. I am reminded once again that there are multiple Indias. One of them is this quiet penthouse apartment.


Note: One of the next two posts will be on Ganapati, and will contain my experiences both from my host family celebrating and from the large procession which has yet to occur. The other will probably deal with either classes or my weekend travels.

No comments:

Post a Comment